Wednesday, February 06, 2008

GOD'S FAVORITE -- Neil Simon

Samuel French, Inc. -- playscript
New York --©1969 -- 96pp
ISBN: 0-573-60972-1
Two act play.

The biblical story of Job, as told by Neil Simon.

#####

I was not familiar with this Neil Simon play, and I thought I knew most of them. As I began, I wondered even more as to why it has stayed so unfamilair. The set-up was well established, the lines humorous, in typical Simon fashion, and the characters quite real (despite some quirkiness).

But then the plot developed. And let's face it ... the story of Job is not funny. No matter what lines Simon put into his character's mouths, watching a man suffer from a multitude of physical ailments just isn't funny, or pleasant, and I actually felt some revulsion toward the action in the play. I can't imagine seeing this, and perhaps that's why this had stayed in relative obscurity.

No comments: