Thursday, February 14, 2008

CRISS CROSS -- Lynne Rae Perkins

Greenwillow Books -- hc
New York -- ©2005 -- 337pp
ISBN: 0-06-009272-6
Newbery Medal winner

A character study of early teens with wry senses of humor and observant insight.

#####

I like the makeup of this book. The wide variety of communication forms is compelling. There's narrative fiction, songs (lyrics and music), poetry, artwork, photography, playscript, and dialog, all rolled into this book in very effective ways. A chapter in which the author is describing what two different people happen to be doing at the same moment is written in two column form. All wonderfully creative for the readers this book is targetting.

But if you ask me what the book is about, I'll have trouble telling you. The plot is thin. Wispy. It's all about character ... which is okay sometimes, but I like form and substance, too.

I don't know that I've ever felt to contradicted while reading before. I liked what I was reading, but I was growing bored with it at the same time.

Difficult to recommend, but I wouldn't advise ignoring it, either.

No comments: