Saturday, February 09, 2008

FANTASTIC FOUR: REDEPTION OF THE SILVER SURFER -- Michael Jan Friedman

A Boulevard/Putnam Book -- hc
New York -- ©1997 --343pp
ISBN: 0-399-14269-x
Illustration by George Perez
cover art: Steve Fastner and Dave DeVries

The fabulous Fantastic Four join forces with the Silver Surfer and do battle against a massive planet destroyer in the 'negative zone.'

#####

Occassionally I like to read something quick and easy -- something in which I don't have to spend a lot of time learning about the characters -- perhaps this is why I enjoy reading books set in the StarTrek universe and/or the comic book universe -- the characters have already been defined.

However, I have to admit to a bias -- I've never enjoyed the stories of the Fantastic Four (comic book heroes) which take place in outer-space (or other worlds). I can't quite define it. And I know it seems strange, considering my propensity toward sci-fi stories, but the stories in outer-space never appealed to me. They always seem contrived, and this novel was no exception.

The extra-dimensional foe here, seemed a novelty for no reason. The foe was in no danger of attacking Earth, so the FF involvement was totally unnecessary. The Silver Surfer's appearance seemed fine, but his "falling in love" with the new protagonist seemed out of character, and yet a major plot point.

I just didn't but into this story. Not recommended.

No comments: