Monday, February 18, 2008

CONAN OF VENARIUM -- Harry Turtledove

TOR Books -- hc
New York -- ©2003 -- 269pp
ISBN: 076530466X
cover art: Julie Bell

Conan, the barbarian, as a youth, before he ever took part in his first combat.

#####

I can't remember when I last read a book or story with the famous 'Conan' as hero. It's been many years, for sure, but there was a time that I greatly enjoyed those books. And so, when I saw this title on a shelf, I was eager to give it a read. Sadly, I found it sorely lacking.

Turtledove's actual writing style was just fine, though it did lack the excitement that Robert E Howard or even Lin Carter or L. Sprague de Camp manage to put into the stories. But the plotting was dreadful. I'd say that nearly half the book was repeating a couple of sequences (how much Conan liked a certain girl, how much the nasty Aquilonian liked the same girl, how much Conan hated the Aquilonian and wanted him dead, and how it all would lead to trouble). Saying all of this only once would have reduced this to a fifty page book, I think.

And then there were the non-barbarian aspects of the ... well... barbarians. Maybe it was important for us to see the twelve year old Conan behaving like a twelve year. Maybe not, though. Maybe it would be okay to see him as being exceptionally different. But in any case, seeing him playing what is essentially a game of soccer with other boys was totally pointless and to my mind, totally out of character.

I wanted to like this book, but sadly, the best part about it was the chronology of Conan books at the end.

No comments: