Tuesday, November 15, 2005

MAGICAL THINKING: TRUE STORIES -- Augusten Burroughs

St. Martin's Press -- hc
New York -- ©2004 -- 268pp
ISBN: 0-312-31594-5

A collection of essays/memoirs.

Acknowledgements
"Commercial Break"
"Vanderbilt Genes"
"Transfixed by Transsexuals"
"Model Behavior"
"I Dated an Undertaker"
"And Now a Word from Our Sponsor"
"The Rat/Thing"
"Debby's Requirements"
"Roof Work"
"Beating Raoul"
"Holy Blow Job"
"Mark the Shrink"
"Telemarketing Revenge"
"My Last First Date"
"The Schnauzer"
"Key Worst"
"Ass Burger"
"Life Cycle of the North American Opossum"
"Cunnilingusville"
"I Kid You Not"
"I'm Gonna Live Forever"
"Total Turnaround"
"Roid Rage"
"Magical Thinking"
"Puff Derby"
"Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch"
"Up the Escalator"

Once again, an essayist (memoirist?) whose homosexual lifestyle plays prominently in his writing. This is not a lifestyle that I am familiar with, nor is it of any interest to me -- I am not curious about how his life might be different from mine because of the sexual preference. And since few of the pieces reach me on any other level, they don't hold any intrique. The article about his dwarfish cleaning lady was amusing, as was the title piece, but nothing else would lend me to recommend this book to anyone.

No comments: