Tuesday, November 08, 2005

DRESS YOUR FAMILY IN CORDUROY AND DENIM -- David Sedaris

Little, Brown and Company -- tpb
New York -- ©2004 -- 257pp
ISBN: 0-965-90483-0

A collection of essays.

"Us and Them"
"Let It Snow"
"The Ship Shape"
"Full House"
"Consider The Stars"
"Monie Changes Everything"
"The Change In Me"
"Hejira"
"Slumus Lordicus"
"The Girl Next Door"
"Blood Work"
"The End Of The Affair"
"Repeat After Me"
"Six To Eight Black Men"
"Rooster at the Hitchin' Post"
"Possession"
"Put a Lid on It"
"A Can of Worms"
"Chicken in the Henhouse"
"Who's the Chef?"
"Baby Einstein"
"Nuit of the Living Dead"

David Sedaris seemed like a "big name" in essayist. I was running across him everywhere, I thought. Then, at a friend's house, I picked up one of his earlier collections and chuckled through a few of the essays. And so it was that I was looking forward to this collection.

However, what I came away with was a personal dislike for David Sedaris himself. What I came away with was a vision of a gay man (he seemed to play up his homosexuality a bit) who was whiny, bitchy, and argumentative simply for the sake of an argument (even when he knew he was wrong).

Whether any of this is true or not is beside the point. It's the impression that I came away with. And since none of the essays left any kind of positive impression with me, I'm not looking forward to reading any more Sedaris.

I quickly donated this book to my local library. If you want to read it, check it out -- don't waste your money.

No comments: