Thursday, November 03, 2005

BLACK LIGHT -- Galway Kinnell

North Point Press -- pb
San Francisco -- ©1966,1980 -- 116pp
ISBN: 0-86547-016-2

A rug weaver in Iran commits murder and is forced to live as a wanderer.

This book is more interesting now, I believe, because of it taking place in Iran.

I have a couple of problems in trying to enjoy this book. First, I have no sympathy or empathy or care for the main character. He is who he is, and I wonder why I am following his story.

While the idea of a parent and child making love is certainly not new in literature, the description and subsequent realization as described here was revolting. And what was it's purpose? I'm not sure.

I'd have trouble recommending this book primarily because it's the sort of book that relies heavily on theme, and here I am not certain as to what the theme is.

No comments: