Sunday, August 10, 2008

TRAVESTIES - Tom Stoppard

Grove Press - tpb
New York - 1975 - 71pp
ISBN: 0-8021-5089-6
two act play

The fantastical meeting of James Joyce, Dadist founder Tristan Tzara, and Lenin as only someone like Tom Stoppard can tell it.

#####

This is a moderately difficult book to read, but as is the case with a play, it is meant to be seen, not necessarily just read.

I had to work very hard at visualizing this, putting myself in the roles of both audience member and director. When I was able to do that (I wasn't always consistent with this) I found that I greatly enjoyed the interaction between the characters.

I'm not at all familiar with the works of James Joyce (or Lenin or Tristan Tzara for that matter), but I liked the character as presented and would assume this to be an enjoyable role for a performer and a delight to watch.

I don't recommend this as a book to read, but a good production would likely be a real treat.

No comments: