Monday, August 04, 2008

RABBIT HOLE -- David Lindsay-Abaire

Theatre Communications Group -- tpb
New York -- ©2006 -- 157pp
ISBN: 978-1-55936-290-0
Two Act Play
2007 Pulitzer Prize for Drama

A drama of a family grieving and trying to come to terms with life after the accidental death of their four year old son.

#####

So much anticipation when I started out to read this. So many glowing reviews, a Pulitzer Prize, a very good playwright... and I finished it with a sighed, "Eh."

The writing was crisp, clear. The characters seemed to be real people working through grief in their idividual ways. And that, is what the play is about...how we work through grief, to keep living when a loved one isn't.

Of course the loved one had to be a child. The grief for a child is so much more different than the grief for a parent.

But as I read this, I couldn't help but wonder why I was reading it. Why would I want to see this? I don't think that it explored anything new, or even touched on anything old in a new way.

It was, as many have labeled it, a slice of realism. But why is that important? I can stop in at the local church during a funeral to see realism. I can walk through my home town the day after the flood and experience the realism of grief.

This play didn't do anything for me. Sorry

No comments: