Wednesday, August 20, 2008

GRAVITY BUSTER: JOURNAL#2 OF A CARDBOARD GENIUS -- Frank Asch

Kids Can Press -- hc
Tonawanda, NY -- ©2007 -- 143pp
ISBN: 1-55453-068-7

A young boy plans to pilot his cardboard spaceship to the stars, with his favorite female friend as a co-pilot, but first he must over-come his younger brother's nuisances.

#####

This looked like a book that my son might like, so I checked it out from the library and gave it a quick read.

I liked the idea, but not the execution.

A young boy-inventor, creating great magical (scientific) devices from ordinary household items, including cardboard boxes, is genius. What boy hasn't done this?! But there was too much focus on the sibling relationship and the hope of getting the girl ... a friend, not a girl-friend! ... to join him.

For such a short, quick book (144 pages, but large type and plenty of illustrations) it tried to do too much.

My son said it was "okay" and I agree.

No comments: