Thursday, March 20, 2008

WENCESLAS SQUARE -- Larry Shue

The Fireside Theatre -- hc
New York -- 1988 -- 106pp
two act play

A theatre director and teacher from Cementville, returns to Czechoslovakia (where he once witnessed some of the most invigorating theatre he'd ever seen) to write the finishing chapter of his new book.

#####

This is a real departure from the outrageous comedies of Larry Shue ... The Nerd and The Foreigner.

While still peppered with humor (some language confusion reminded me of early Ionesco), this play has a dark and depressing over-tone.

The minimal cast mirrors the Czech theatre scene that Vince is longing to see again, yet is feels very dated as I read through it now. I don't see it going over well in the community theatre scene, as the two comedies certainly do.

An interesting play, and I'm glad I just (re)read it, but I am not surprised that it hasn't had much life.

No comments: