Friday, March 28, 2008

THE ENTERTAINER AND THE DYBBUK -- Sid Fleischman


Greenwillow Books -- hc
New York -- 2008 -- 180pp
ISBN: 978-0-06-134446-6

A second rate ventriloquist is inhabited by the spirit of a Jewish boy, murdered by a Nazi, who is seeking vengeance on the man who killed him.

#####

** spoiler alert **

I understand the need to tell the stories of the holocaust.

It is a personal need, it is a community need, it is a historical need. It is something that shouldn't be forgotten -- just how horrible a people can be. But does this need translate to quality work? Not always.

I was uncomfortable with this book as a book for children. Having said that, I know that I am supposed to be uncomfortable ... it's an uncomfortable situation, and the murdering of children by such nefarious means should never get comfortable. And yet...I'm torn.

In the balance to always try to protect my children and yet make them aware of history (including atrocious history) I have to draw some lines. To me, this book crosses some of those lines. It is forthright in descriptions. It is a book full of vengeance and revenge. And I'm not sure I approve of the ending. Not because of what the dybbuk does, but because I don't think he could tolerate it.

***WARNING SPOILER ALERT FOLLOWS***

Yes, I can understand that by having the dybbuk inhabit the Nazi responsible for killing him would be a terrible burden for the Nazi to live with the rest of his life, after hearing the dybbuk complain on how uncomfortable it was to inhabit the ventriloquists body, I can't imagine what it would be like for a Jewish soul to live in a Nazi's body. Wouldn't the torture be two-sided?

Just not a recommended book from me.

No comments: