Monday, March 24, 2008

MISSION TO HORATIUS -- Mack Reynolds

MISSION TO HORATIUS (A Star Trek Novel)
Pocket Books -- hc
New York -- 1968, 1999 -- 210pp
ISBN: 0-671-02812-X
Illustrated by Sparky Moore

A reprint of a Whitman book. Had been out of print for 30 years.

The starship Enterprise receives a distress call from a system that has been virtually ignored since it's initial founding. The crew race to track down the distress signal while battling cafard -- a space sickness from being away too long without leave.

#####

Wow, does this bring back some memories!

I believe that I may have read this after picking it up in a used book store some 25 years or so ago.

I fully admit to being the Star Trek nerd and enjoying Star Trek novels. There's something very comfortable in reading books with characters who are so incredibly familiar to me.

The plot is paper thin and the characters less well developed than the average television episode. Some characters seemed to be named just for the sake of making sure to include them, but had no real role to play, and even their little moments were moderately out of character.

It was like reading exactly what it was ... a television-show-based book, by someone with only passing knowledge of the characters, using a stock plot.

It won't get a very high rating from me, but as a Star Trek nerd, I'm glad I read it.

No comments: