Tuesday, April 18, 2006

THE EVIL B.B. CHOW AND OTHER STORIES -- Steve Almond

Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill -- hc
Chapel Hill, NC -- ©2005 -- 233pp
ISBN-10: 1-56512-422-7

A collection of short stories.

"The Evil B.B. Chow"
"The Soul Molecule"
"Appropriate Sex"
"I Am As I Am"
"A Happy Dream"
"Lincoln, Arisen"
"The Idea Of Michael Jackson's Dick"
"The Problem Of Human Consumption"
"Wired For Life"
"Summer, As In Love"
"Larsen's Novel"
"Skull"

Ah...another Steve Almond collection.

I really do enjoy this man's writing, though I don't think this collection was a strong as his earlier, My Life In Heavy Metal, collection. Still, it was nice to read some short stories that were intelligently written, and not ponderous.

It's hard to pick a favorite, though the title story is quite good. "Summer, As In Love" was good, but I wanted more resolution.

"Lincoln, Arisen," did not work for me. Frankly, I didn't understand what Almond was going for here.

I will continue to look for new works by Mr. Steve Almond.

No comments: