Wednesday, April 05, 2006

THE BEST AMERICAN SHORT STORIES 2004 -- Lorrie Moore, editor

Houghton Mifflin Company -- tpb
Boston -- ©2004 -- 462pp
ISBN: 0-618-19735-4
Series Editor: Katrina Kenison

A collection of short stories.

Foreward
Introduction -- Lorrie Moore
"What you Pawn I Will Redeem" -- Sherman Alexie
"Tooth and Claw" -- T. Coraghessan Boyle
"Written in Stone" -- Catherine Brady
"Accomplice" -- Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum
"Screenwriter" -- Charles D'Ambrosio
"Breasts" -- Stuart Dybek
"Some Other, Better Otto" -- Deborah Eisenberg
"Grace" -- Paula Fox
"The Tutor" -- Nell Freudenberger
"A Rich Man" -- Edward P. Jones
"Limestone Diner" -- Trudy Lewis
"Intervention" -- Jill McCorkle
"Gallatin Canyon" -- Thomas McGuane
"Runaway" -- Alice Munro
"All Saints Day" -- Angela Pneuman
"What Kind of Furniture Would Jesus Pick?" -- Annie Proulx
"Docent" -- R.T. Smith
"The Walk With Elizanne" -- John Updike
"Mirror Studies" -- Mary Yukari Waters
"What We Cannot Speak About We Must Pass Over in Silence" -- John Edgar Wideman
Contributor's Notes
100 Other Distinguished Stories of 2003
Editorial Addresses of American and Canadian Magazines Publishing Short Stories

I enjoyed this collection moreso than the collection of essays of the same year. Some of these stories I even enjoyed quite a bit. However, even in this, none of the stories sits with me as I reflect back a month or more to when I read them. Once or twice I tried to take note of the author's name because I liked a piece, but I haven't yet found myself interested enough to seek out new works by any of these writers.

In one or two cases, I found the works to be rather pretentious -- writing more to a style for the age, rather than crafting an interesting story.

This was a good book to have on hand for the occassion when I was looking for a short work that I could read in one sitting, but not one that I will refer to time and again.

My local library will enjoy the donation.