Monday, February 21, 2011

SUPERPOWERS -- David J. Schwartz

Three Rivers Press -- tpb
New York -- ©2008 -- 377pp
ISBN: 978-0-307-39440-8

Five college students at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, wake up one morning after a party to discover they have super powers.  They begin a journey, at first alone, and then together, to discover what their powers mean for themselves.

#####

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this up in a little independent book store, but, as I like comics and I enjoy literary and genre fiction, this seemed like a good book for me.

I'm still intrigued with the premise ... five students in Madison, WI wake up one morning to discover that they've inherited/developed/been gifted with some extraordinary super powers.  What happens next?

I like that Schwartz has attempted to keep it real.  Grounded (no pun intended).  Unfortunately, it gets so grounded that it becomes tedious and boring in spots.   The personal/sexual relationships that are developed don't seem interesting, and frankly, I never fully understand how close these friends really are.  Are they all friends?  Are some outsiders among their groups?  Does it matter?  Well, yes it does if you're telling a story about people.  And their actions as super-powered individuals isn't played up too much ... mostly second reports about what they've done.  Again, this is fine as this is a story about people and not a comic about a superhero, but what is the focus of this story?

There are some really nice moments here ... specifically (without giving anything away), a scene in a nursing home that I really wanted to read more about, and the effects that the powers have on some of the students (physical as well as psychological), but in the long-run, this book lagged a bit.

I give it 3-1/2 stars.

No comments: