Tuesday, February 08, 2011

ALBUM -- David Rimmer

Nelson Doubleday -- hc
New York -- ©1980 -- 105pp
book club edition

A two act play about youth growing up in the 60's, with music as a focus of their lives and a device for the playwright.

#####

As I read this, my first thought is: "Wow, this play is dated."

I really liked the idea of incorporating popular music into the life of these youngsters. It reminds me greatly of my youth -- the days when we'd sit around and talk about the new songs, or the latest album by a favorite musician, and even the arguments about when band is better. In this sense, I was pulled in to the play. But as the characters got older, I cared about them less.

Again, I believe that this is more a result of the period of the play. This play is very characteristic of plays from this era, with lives changing for the worse at every turn. But dropouts and runaways don't pull at the heart strings the way they used to.

There are some great acting scenes and monologues here, but if I saw this on the season subscription for a local theatre, I wouldn't be running out to get tickets.

1 comment:

V.T said...

hello, my name is Alexandra and I am in my last year of study in acting in Romania , Bucharest. I plan to do a play with 3 other colleagues of mine and I have found this play with good review. I hope that you can be kind enough to send me an email with this text and I will be more than grateful. I hope to hear from you soon. Contact me at black_pack90@yahoo.com

Thank you, Alexandra