Tuesday, November 27, 2007

YOU KNOW I CAN'T HEAR YOU WHEN THE WATER'S RUNNING -- Robert Anderson

Random House -- hc
New York -- 1967 -- 92pp
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 67-22664

Four one-act plays:

The Shock of Recognition (3m, 1f)
The Footsteps of Doves (2m, 2f)
I'll Be Home For Christmas (1m, 2f)
I'm Herbert (1m, 1f)


#####



Is it possible that I've never actually read these plays before? An old professor of mine used to talk about this so much, I felt as though I knew the plays, but once I began reading, I was hooked, and very aware that they were quite new to me.


All four of these short plays are extremely well written and would be incredibly fun to see staged. Though quite humorous, each seems to have an adult edge, making them not quite viable for the high school crowd.

Of the four, I laughed quite a bit while reading "I'm Herbert" and would like very much to see and/or direct this play.

Highly recommended reading.

No comments: