Wednesday, November 21, 2007

DOUBT, a parable -- John Patrick Shanley

Theatre Communications Group -- tpb
New York -- ©2005 -- 58pp
ISBN: 1-55936-276-6
A one act play

2005 Pulitzer Prize Winner


A priest and a nun with doubts about the others' sincerity and motives.

#####

First, I will clearly state that I've never been a fan of John Patrick Shanley. That said, I enjoyed this play. Surprisingly so.

Although the sunject matter of homosexuality and the Catholic church don't particularly pique my interest, the writing on this was crisp.

What I liked the most was that this script seemed to be the archetype script as described in the first chapter of Jeffery Sweet's Solving Your Script ... "The Power of the Unsaid Word." Although not mentioned by name, the audience clearly understands what the older nun is referring to when discussing possible inappropriate meetings between a priest and a young boy. But by not actually saying the words, we are drawn in, waiting for someone to come right out and say it. Very well executed.

Unfortunately, the ending is clearly no ending. And while I've read some discussion about this, I feel cheated at not having a conclusion. I don't feel it's "clever" or "realistic" ... I feel it's a cop-out.

No comments: