Sunday, December 17, 2006

RED THUNDER -- John Varley

Ace Books -- pb
New York -- ©2003 -- 411pp
ISBN: 0-441-01162-4

An alcoholic ex-astronaut and four kids put together a rocket and using new technology discovered by the astronauts "idiot" nephew, they attempt to become the first humans to walk on Mars, beating the Chinese (who've been in space for weeks and are already in a Mars braking-orbiting pattern) by a matter or days.

#####

Shortly before starting this book, I had looked through my Book Journal Blog here and wondered when, exactly was the last time i read a really good book that was really engaging and fun to read. The answer is that it has been much, much too long. I have read many good books, but nothing that has drawn me back so strongly that we consider it a book that you "can't put down."

This is one of those books.

John Varley has long been a favorite of mine, ever since I read his Ophiuchi Hotline when I was in high school. I often rate my favorite writers as those whose books I will buy in hardcover as soon as they are available. Varley narrowly missed the cut. I think that this was a result, not so much of his writing, but his lack of production for a time. Especially after having such a rollicking good time with this novel, I will eagerly look forward to any new Varley book.

Part of what makes a Varley book so good is that the science is believeable, and accessible to a non-science-type such as myself. (Perhaps, as a non-science-type, I'm wrong about the "believable" part to those who know more sceince.)

He also manages to create characters who are very believable -- humans full of flaws who overcome obstacles to be heroic in spite of their circumstances.

This novel engaged me from beginning to end. A weak moment here and there only had me reading faster to get to "the good stuff."

Highly recommended.

No comments: