Thursday, December 21, 2006

THE BEST AMERICAN ESSAYS 2005 -- Susan Orlean, editor

Houghton Mifflin Company -- tpb
Boston -- ©2005 -- 278pp
ISBN-10:0-618-35713-0
series editor: Robert Atwan

A collection of essays gathered from the previous year's magazines.

Forward -- Robert Atwan
Introduction -- Susan Orlean
"La Vie en Rose" -- Roger Angell
"The Sea of Information" -- Andrea Barrett
"Storm Country" -- Paul Crenshaw
"Joyas Voladoras" -- Brian Doyle
"Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog" -- Kitty Burns Florey
"The Comfort Zone" -- Jonathan Franzen
"If Memory Doesn't Serve" -- Ian Frazier
"Against Exercise" -- Mark Greif
"Small Silences" -- Edward Hoagland
"Small Rooms in Time" -- Ted Kooser
"Speak, Hoyt-Schermerhorn" -- Jonathan Lethem
"Mastering the Art of French Cooking" -- E.J. Levy
"Contributor's Note" -- Michael Martone
"My Friend Lodovico" -- David Masello
"Living Will" -- Danielle Ofri
"Dog Days" -- Sam Pickering
"Speed" -- Oliver Sacks
"Dog Trouble" -- Cathleen Schine
"Old Faithful" -- David Sedaris
"Six Seconds" -- Paula Speck
"Skill Display in Birding Groups" -- Bert O. States
"The Prince of Possibility" -- Robert Stone
"Dining With Robots" -- Ellen Ullman
"Consider the Lobster" -- David Foster Wallace
"Satin Worship" -- Holly Welker
Biographical Notes
Notable Essays of 2004

#####

Once again I find that I enjoy these collections of essays much more than I have the collections of short fiction.

Of the collection, only a couple essays were skim-worthy. Most were quite enjoyable, and a few stood out as quite captivating. Notable were: "If Memory Doesn't Serve" (which had me grinning from ear to ear in familiarity); "Contributor's Note" (which I greatly enjoyed as being particularly clever); "My Friend Lodovico" (for it's passion for an inanimate object); "Speed" (which rang so true to me, having had my own forrays into this phenomenon); and "Satin Worship" (this didn't strike me, based on its subject, but it spoke well to a person's passion for something, and it was that passion to which I identified).

This series is, so far, highly recommended.

No comments: