Thursday, August 24, 2006

MY TEACHER GLOWS IN THE DARK -- Bruce Coville

A Minstrel Book -- tpb
New York -- ©1991 -- 137pp
ISBN: 0-671-72709-5
illustrated by John Pierard

After discovering that his teacher is an alien, a young boy begs to be taken aboard an intergalactic space ship, where he becomes Earth's last chance at survival.

#####

Although I really like Bruce Coville books, I had put off reading this because I thought, from the title, that it was going to be one of his silly books. Instead, it was some pretty serious, youthful, sci-fi, and I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting. The book actually deals with a young boy's perceptions of loneliness, friendship, and girls all within the environment of space, aliens, and the end of the world.

I'm sorry, now, that I didn't read the other two books in the series first.

Recommended.

No comments: