Wednesday, August 09, 2006

EAST, WEST -- Salman Rushdie

Vintage International -- tpb
New York -- 1994 -- 211pp
ISBN: 0-679-43965-x

A collection of short stories.

East
"Good Advice is Rarer Than Rubies"
"The Free Radio"
"The Prophet's Hair"

West
"Yorick"
"At the Auction of the Ruby Slippers"
"Christopher Columbus and Queen Isabella of Spain Consummate Their Relationship (Santa Fe, AD 1492)"

East, West
"The Harmony of the Spheres"
"Chekov and Zulu"
"The Courter"

#####

This is my first crack at reading Salman Rushdie and I am left feeling somewhat ambivilent. There was nothing wrong with any of these stories. In fact, as I look a the titles I can recall each of the stories rather clearly, but not one of them touched me. I never connected with any of the characters. I couldn't relate; I never felt drawn in to the stories -- even "Chekov and Zulu" which is Star Trek themed!

The closest I came to 'enjoying' a story was "The Prophet's Hair" in which I could understand the father's panic at not wanting to own, but not wanting to give back, a religious relic. The response of his children seemed extreme and removed me from the story.

Not a great collection, but I am willing to give Rushdie another try. Any recommendations, anyone?

No comments: