Tuesday, March 09, 2010

THE UNICORN CHRONICLES: BOOK TWO - SONG OF THE WANDERER -- Bruce Coville

Scholastic Press -- hc
New York -- ©1999 -- 330pp
ISBN: 0-590-45953-8

Cara attempts to cross Luster in a desperate effort to rescue her grandmother. Each stage of Cara’s journey brings new peril, wondrous new characters, and new clues to the mystery of her grandmother’s past. And through it all threads the haunting melody of the “Song of the Wanderer”.

*****

If you read any of my reviews, you'll know that I'm a fan of Bruce Coville's writing. His Unicorn Chronicles is one of the best series for fantasy readers of any age.

Although I first read this book many years ago, I've begun reading the series to my boys, ages 11 and 12, and they absolutely love it.

They were both hesitant at first, and neither would read the series on their own, thinking that it was a 'girl's' book. But neither wants me to read anything else now until I've started the series.

The first book was fun, but this second book begins to weave an intricate tale. Alliances are defined and the characters take on a depth that helps us identify with them. The adventure isn't so new, but we discover new areas to Luster (the land of the unicorns)and meet new characters.

It's a thrilling adventure and really makes us thirst for the next book.

No comments: