Monday, December 21, 2009

THE WILLIAMSON EFFECT -- Roger Zelazny, editor

Tom Doherty Associates Book -- hc
New York -- ©1996 -- 349pp
ISBN:0-312-85748-9

A collection of short fiction; a tribute to Jack Williamson.

Introduction: A World in Love with Change -- David Brin
"The Mayor of Mare Tranq" -- Frederick Pohl
"Before the Legion" -- Paul Dellinger
"Inside Passage" -- Poul Anderson
"Risk Assessment" -- Ben Bova
"Williamson's World" (poem) -- Scott E. Green
"Emancipation" -- Pati Nagle
"Thinkertoy" -- John Brunner
"The Bad Machines" -- Fred Saberhagen
"The Human Ingredient" -- Jeff Bredenberg
"Child of the Night" -- Jane Lindskold
"A Certain Talent" -- David Weber
"Nonstop to Portales" -- Connie Willis
"No Folded Hands" -- Andre Norton
"Darker Than You Wrote" -- Mike Resnick
"Near Portales ... Freedom Shouts" (poem) -- Scott E. Green
"Worlds That Never Were: The Last Adventure of the Legion of Time" -- John J. Miller

#####

I have to admit that I am not particularly familiar with Jack Williamson's work. I am aware of his work, but I don't think that I've ever read any of his books. So why buy and read this collection of short stories written in tribute to Williamson? Because it was edited by Roger Zelazny ... whose work I AM familiar with and greatly admire.

It shouldn't come as a surprise then that I found myself really enjoying this stories and now am looking forward to reading some Williamson work.

It has been awhile since I actually finished reading this collection, so the stories are not fresh in my mind, but I don't think that there are any obvious stand-outs for being excellent. Instead, unlike so many collections I read, nearly all the stories piqued my interest, touching on something which I assume is that talent of Jack Williamson.

Fred Saberhagen's story, "The Bad Machines," has made me want to read both Williamson's The Humanoids and Saberhange's 'Berserker' books. Poul Anderson's "Inside Passage" has got me looking for Jack's Darker Than You Think. And I'm very curious to read more of The Legion of Time, and see how much Giles Habibula really is like Falstaff. John Brunner is a fantastic writer, and his "Thinkertoy" was a delight.

All around, this is a fantastic collection. It's a book like this that has me really enjoying short fiction. I've read some great fiction and hopefully discovered a new author or two.

Highly recommended for any sci-fi fan.

No comments: