Thursday, October 22, 2009

MORALITY PLAY -- Barry Unsworth


Nan A. Talese -- hc
©1995 -- 206 pp
ISBN: 0385479530

A troupe of players puts on a new play, the story of a recent murder in a local town, in 14th century England.

#####

This book was recommended to me based on my interest in medieval theatre. I enjoy reading (and teaching) the old morality plays. I am not generally a fan of the mystery genre ... though I'm certainly not opposed to it, either.

I thought the book seemed well researched, though I also felt it spent too much time setting up the characters and era and style. I also didn't particularly care for the narrator. He seemed generally annoying, though I understand why his vacation was chosen -- it made it possible to do many things that otherwise wouldn't have been open to the people of the time.

Once the actual mystery got going, I was enthralled. A surprise or two for me along the way always makes for a better read than something that I anticipate early.

No comments: