Friday, July 10, 2009

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN IN MAYHEM IN MANHATTAN -- Len Wein and Marv Wolfman

Pocket Books -- pb
New York -- ©1978 -- 176pp
ISBN: 0-671-82044-3

The Amazing Spider-Man in his first, full-length novel.


#####

Comfort fiction. A quick, easy read with characters that are incredibly familiar. Nice to have a book written by people who write the comics, rather than those by novelists who happen to read the comics.

As incredible as it may seem, I think I've owned this book since it came out in '78 or '79, but have only just now read it. I might have found it much more interesting and exciting had I read it when I was 18, but hen again, perhaps not.

There's nothing earth-shattering here. No new information or new take on the classic comic book characters. The story itself seems to be straight out of a comic book.

Would I recommend it? No. Would I discourage anyone from reading it? No. Am I glad I read it? Yes, but only because it's been in a box in my room thirty years.

No comments: