Sunday, April 01, 2007

DARK MATTER -- Philip Kerr

DARK MATTER: THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SIR ISAAC NEWTON: a novel -- Philip Kerr
Crown Publishers -- hc
New York -- ©2002 -- 345pp
ISBN: 0-609-60981-5

As told by Isaac Newtown's assistant, Christopher Ellis, Newton and Ellis investigate some unusual death's which may have a bearing on the Royal Mint.

*****

Although it took me a while to get into this novel, I rather enjoyed it, for the most part.

I never really had any sense that this was Isaac Newton, other than the fact that other characters would refer to him as such, and occassionally make reference to one of his scientific theories. He was, however, an interesting "detective" for a crime novel. He seemed to be quite masterful at observation and with a pretty good sense of human character (despite being pretty terrible at social discourse), and often tries to instruct his assistant in being a better observer. Mr. Ellis, is his strength and protector.

As with any good mystery, there are "red herrings" and extra bits of knowledge that aren't necessary for solving the crime. What I enjoyed most about the book, though, was the historical aspect of the workings of the British mint and Newton's role there. What I would have liked to seen a bit more of would be a sense of this being Issac Newton rather than a wiley detective. What I didn't care for was the relationship between Ellis and Newton's niece (Miss Barton) which had no real bearing on any other aspect of the book (other than to add a couple of steamy sex sequences).

I enjoyed the read, but not necessarily enough to seek out other books by Kerr (but I wouldn't discount one if I saw one that piqued my interest).

No comments: