Wednesday, July 12, 2006

THE HISTORIAN -- Elizabeth Kostova

Little, Brown and Company -- ©2005 -- hc
New York -- 642pp
ISBN: 0-316-01177-0
Signed by Elizabeth Kostova

A long history, using academic historians as the principle protagonists, in search of Vlad Dracula and his actual burial place.

#####

The book could have used some trimming or serious editing!

I was engaged with the story in the beginning, and I was caught up again as I approached the last 100+ pages, but the 300+ pages in the middle became a morass of verbiage which did little to nothing to advance the plot, nor did it set mood or location.

Something I've seen only one other reviewer mention is the confusion over who is narrating any particular chapter. Imagine my surprise after a hundred pages, thinking my narrator was a woman (and I'm sure it was when I started), and to suddenly have someone refer to the narrator as "Paul."

I've long enjoyed the Dracula mythology and looked forward to this book. I struggled to stay interested in it, and I'm not sure that my valiance paid off in the end.

This is one book that may actually be served well to have a Reader's Digest Condensed Version.

No comments: