Friday, September 16, 2005

WINDCHASER -- Scott Ciencin


a DINOTOPIA novel
Bullseye Books - Random House
New York -- ©1995 -- 148pp
ISBN: 0-679-86981-6
cover illustration by Michael Welply

After their ship bound for Australia is lost at sea during a storm, two boy (Raymond, the son of the ship's doctor, and Hugh, a petty thief) are brought by dolphins to the island of Dinotopia, where the boys, and a "Skybax," learn the value of friendship and trust.

I remember really enjoying this book when I first read it, about the time that it first came out. It was mostly because of this book that I recommended the Dinotopia series as books for emerging readers.

As I read it out-loud to my sons at bed-time, I felt it lost some of the magic that I had initially felt, and I was even surprised at the apparent lack of dinosaurs included. However, my eldest son thought the book was "awesome" and wants me to read all the books in the series to him, so perhaps it still retains the magic after all.

No comments: