Wednesday, August 17, 2005

THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ -- L. Frank Baum

A Signet Classic/New American Library
New York -- ©1984 (introduction and Signet edition) -- 219pp
ISBN: 0-451-51864-0
Introduction by Selma G. Lanes
Original drawing illustrations by W.W.Denslow

A young girl gets taken from her Kansas farmhouse by cyclone to a fantastic world called OZ, where she must face strange creatures and confront a wicked witch and a powerful wizard in order to return home.

So many people think they know this book because they are so familiar with the classic MGM movie. Of course there really is so much more in the book that it might surprise people.

I find the book to be slow at times, sometimes the obstacles in the girl's way just seem so extraneous. However, I read this book aloud twice now. Once to my daughter, and once to my two boys. Each time it managed to hold my childrens' interest. They've all agreed that we should consider reading book two in the series.

I can see where this easily would have/could have been the Harry Potter of it's day. Chock full of fantastic people and places and things. In it's day however, I don't believe it was popular for adults to read a children's book, nor was fantasy as acceptable.

More people ought to read this classic.

No comments: