Tuesday, July 19, 2005

X-MEN: SHADOWS OF THE PAST -- Michael Jan Friedman

illustrations by Jose Ladronn
bp books - distributed by Simon & Schuster
New York - (c)2000 - 328pp
ISBN: 0-7434-0018-6

A powerful extraterrestrial being who is being held prisoner in another dimension captures Professor Xavier and replaces him with a doppleganger and attempts to destroy the X-Men and the earth.

I have generally enjoyed reading novel versions of comic book heroes, and I have generally enjoyed works by Friedman, but this book just falls flat. the 300+ pages feel padded with ...what? Not much of anything. This could have been a decent 24 page comic, but as a novel it just has nothing to hold anyone's interest.

1 comment:

Kootch said...

Stix, I have never really liked novel versions of comic book heroes. I'm not sure why, as I'm much more of a "story guy" than an "art guy." Although now that I think about it, with comics you really need both done well to succeed.